my email address: yvonnelau78@gmail.com

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Solid, Liquid and Gas

The Navy Beans (6 year olds) did a unit on water last week. We discussed the various forms of water as well as the water cycle. As an extension, I also explained hurricane and tornado. Never knew much about the differences until I checked the info from the web.

Ying asked me how I know so much. I replied that I didn't know everything, but can find out through reading as well as searching for the information from the web, which Josh asked "from Google Search?"

It was quite funny as children as young as 6 know about Google Search. I promptly assigned them to go home and ask Mum or Dad to help them look up for info on hurricanes and tornadoes. Hmmmm... I wonder how many will come back with the task tomorrow???


Back to our science lesson, I showed them the difference between solid and liquid. Most things such as stones or spoons are solids and will not change shape over time. Compare this with ice cubes (water in solid form) which will melt and change its shape into that of its container.



We also looked at the different 'shape' of water in liquid form when contained in different beakers, containers, plates. There is liquidity and no definite shape.


I've filled up a balloon with water and placed it in the freezer. Passing the frozen balloon around, we have a great time feeling the cold, smooth, wet balloon.


We next peeled of the balloon, and viola, we have a solid ice in the shape of the balloon. We placed it inside a ziplock bag and leave the ice there for several hours.

Wanted the children to observe the shape of the balloon ice after a few hours. Of course, they predicted that the ice will melt and take on the shape of the bag.



Also showed them hot steam arising from hot water - that's water in gas form when it gets very hot.

Can't really see the vapour from the picture, but visible to the children and now they know the terms solid, liquid and gas (vapour) well - thanks to the hands-on experiments under our Junior Scientist Programme.

No comments:

Post a Comment